08:31:32 <xruxa> #startmeeting
08:31:32 <linarobot> Meeting started Thu Oct 29 08:31:32 2015 UTC.  The chair is xruxa. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
08:31:32 <linarobot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
08:31:36 <xruxa> #chair bero
08:31:36 <linarobot> Current chairs: bero xruxa
08:32:20 * liuyq is here
08:32:24 <xruxa> hi bero liuyq zhizhoutian_  luther yspan Qian_ sunao
08:32:31 <zhizhoutian_> hi xruxa
08:32:36 <yspan> hi
08:32:37 <Qian_> hi xruxa
08:32:44 <xruxa> Qian_, would you go first please?
08:32:50 <Qian_> What did you do?
08:32:50 <Qian_> Look into LMG-919  about libjpeg-turbo, Both MX5 and PRO 5 have remarkable improvements with tjbench, I think we can close it now.
08:32:50 <Qian_> djpegXX and cjpegXX keep the same performance as before.
08:32:52 <Qian_> What are you going to do?
08:32:54 <Qian_> Choose another backlog to work on.
08:32:56 <Qian_> What problems do you have?
08:32:58 <Qian_> Since android has the similar interfaces. I am not sure the interfaces used by tjbench have been used system wide.
08:33:40 <xruxa> bero, could you check if you are happy with the https://projects.linaro.org/browse/LMG-919? There are noted improvements in performance but did we check that all has been ported on code-level?
08:34:12 <xavierhsu> xavier is here
08:35:12 <amit_khare> I am here
08:35:16 <bero> xruxa: we already talked about it quickly yesterday. I think for the most part we can close it given the efficiency is confirmed now, but it can't hurt to take a quick look to make sure we aren't missing out on anything
08:38:42 <xruxa> bero, ok, lets keep it open - woudld you Qian_ know what to do to finish it off based on bero 's feddback?
08:39:00 <Qian_> bero, xruxa, i have hand it to my company
08:39:38 <Qian_> I will update it when i recieve any feedback
08:40:01 <xruxa> Qian_, ok, thanks.
08:41:01 <xruxa> Qian_, bero - and what to do with the replacing Java code with C/C++ task? How do we wrap it up?
08:41:47 <bero> We'll have to identify some parts where we're actually going to try it, and see how effective it is
08:42:10 <Qian_> bero ,pleae have a check
08:42:29 <xruxa> #action bero to pick tasks worth doing for converting Java implementations to C/C++
08:42:40 <bero> sure
08:42:42 <xruxa> ok, moving on
08:42:43 <xruxa> sunao, would you go next please?
08:42:50 <sunao> What did you do?
08:42:52 <sunao> 1)help local team porting libjpeg-turbo, after completely rebuild,  seems to be ok.
08:42:53 <sunao> 2)investigate the use of system fonts.
08:42:55 <sunao> what are you going to do?
08:42:56 <sunao> 1)investigate the use of system fonts.
08:42:58 <sunao> what problems do you have?
08:43:00 <sunao> 1) none for now.
08:43:01 <sunao> that's all
08:43:14 <xruxa> sunao, thanks.
08:43:30 <xruxa> luther, please your turn
08:43:40 * luther What did you do?
08:43:40 <luther> 1. Looked C++ template in art/runtime/native/sun_misc_Unsafe.cc
08:43:40 * luther What are you going to do?
08:43:40 <luther> 1. Go on look C++ template in art/runtime/native/sun_misc_Unsafe.cc
08:43:40 * luther What problems do you have?
08:43:41 <luther> 1. None till now
08:44:39 <xruxa> luther, you have bit more text in the shared doc - want to discuss it here now or later after the meeting with bero only?
08:45:19 <luther> xruxa, just a moment ago, i have know it well, thanks :-
08:45:19 <luther> )
08:45:34 <xruxa> luther, ok, thanks
08:45:44 <xruxa> xavierhsu, you go next pleas
08:45:45 <xruxa> e
08:46:19 <xavierhsu> What did you do?After fixing some bugs, Android source code can normally be compile and run on hikey.
08:46:28 <xavierhsu> What are you going to do?Measuring memory usage after I separate libjpeg into encoder and decoder.
08:46:49 <xavierhsu> What problems do you have?   Hikey is read only system, so how to use encoder function of ligjpeg.        Hikey doesn't support camera and screenrecord command, so how to test the encoder function of libjpeg.
08:47:31 <xruxa> xavierhsu, that is work on the libjpeg-turbo. Please have a go at the SPEC 2k6 cross-compilation as well.
08:48:19 <xavierhsu> xruxa, sorry. I will do it.
08:48:54 <bero> xavierhsu: right, hikey doesn't have a camera... but there should be some apps for editing images that can save them as jpegs
08:49:31 <bero> xavierhsu: or we can port ImageMagick or something to have a proof of concept thing that works for all image formats
08:49:35 <xruxa> #action xavierhsu have a go at cross-compiling SPEC 2k6 with bero's NDK
08:50:22 <xavierhsu> bero, could I store image in hikey's filesystem?
08:50:50 <bero> yes, the userdata partition should be read-write...
08:51:04 <bero> and if for some reason it isn't you can always adb shell in as root and mount -o remount,rw /
08:51:18 <xavierhsu> bero, ok, I will try it.
08:51:37 <xavierhsu> bero, Thanks.
08:52:06 <xruxa> xavierhsu, thanks, moving on
08:52:14 <xruxa> yspan, you are next please
08:52:24 <yspan> What did you do?
08:52:24 <yspan> Debugging libpng. logcat showed some segmentation fault in libpng�s functions ( encoding part) probably I wrote something wrong.
08:52:24 <yspan> What are you going to do?
08:52:24 <yspan> Keep debugging libpng
08:52:51 <yspan> no problems
08:53:13 <xruxa> segfault hunting, that is the right job for Halloween :)
08:53:41 <xruxa> yspan, thanks.
08:53:47 <xruxa> liuyq, please go next with your status
08:54:08 <Qian_> xavierhsu: please tell me the backlog ID , i will attach one sample on it. maybe can help you.
08:54:40 <liuyq> What did you do?
08:54:40 <liuyq> Integrated busybox into marshmallow builds. bug: 1871
08:54:40 <liuyq> Investigated about problem on gatord bug 1872
08:54:40 <liuyq> Fixed a problem for ashmem-basic in linaro-android-kernel-test
08:54:40 <liuyq> What are you going to do?
08:54:41 <liuyq> Investigating about multimedia decodec problem on TC2 bug: 795
08:54:43 <liuyq> Things on 15.10 release notes
08:54:47 <liuyq> What problems do you have?
08:54:49 <liuyq> None
08:54:59 <zhizhoutian_> Hunter yspan :)
08:55:59 <yspan> zhizhoutian_, maybe I need a dog (not watchdog :p)
08:57:15 <zhizhoutian_> which debug tools you always use? gdb?
08:57:46 <bero> yspan: good idea, but I must say my 2 dogs tend to hunt the wrong types of bugs ;)
08:57:56 <zhizhoutian_> I often use gdb + cdt to debug qemu...very useful
08:59:05 <zhizhoutian_> you have 2 dogs...cool
08:59:53 <xruxa> liuyq, thanks
08:59:58 <xruxa> zhizhoutian_, how about you?
09:00:13 <zhizhoutian_> What did you do?
09:00:14 <zhizhoutian_> Meeting with Tinno’s CTO and talked about developing environment(code-base/device/pc) and ready them
09:00:14 <zhizhoutian_> Investigate t-shark adb connect issue with Lava guys
09:00:14 <zhizhoutian_> transport him a work image and test whether it can work.
09:00:14 <zhizhoutian_> What are you going to do?
09:00:14 <zhizhoutian_> Investigate t-shark adb connect issue with Lava guys
09:00:14 <zhizhoutian_> What problems do you have?
09:00:24 <zhizhoutian_> none
09:01:03 <xruxa> zhizhoutian_, could I ask you to tell us on every meeting the status of all AOSP master builds? Like green/red.
09:01:28 <zhizhoutian_> sure. i will do it next meeting
09:02:09 <xruxa> zhizhoutian_, also since the month is almost over - will you still do C-reduce (LMG-930), ninja.mk (LMG-895) and failing VFAT tests (LMG-896)?
09:02:57 <xruxa> bhoj, zhizhoutian_ , bero , liuyq - did we agree to stop making/supporting Nexus 7 or 10 AOSP master builds? My memory fails me badly on that one ...
09:04:22 <bero> My memory fails on it too, but I think we decided to stop Nexus 10 (because AOSP dropped support for it) and keep Nexus 7 for now (as a sample armv7 device)
09:04:30 <bero> not 100% sure though
09:05:16 <xruxa> I want to make sure that zhizhoutian_ knows he does not have to care about that one and report on it. Unless bhoj protests, I will remove that NExus 10 build from the supported table at https://wiki.linaro.org/LMG/ReleaseProcess
09:05:34 <xruxa> zhizhoutian_, about those three other tasks - will you still finish those or do we need to move them to NOvember?
09:06:02 <zhizhoutian_> xruxa: Let me see and answer you.
09:06:09 <xruxa> zhizhoutian_, ok.
09:06:21 <xruxa> bero, would you go next with your status please?
09:06:30 <bero> What did you do?
09:06:31 <bero> Fixed the gcc 5.2-2015.10 toolchain to build a version of M that boots on Nexus 7
09:06:31 <bero> Ran toolchain test builds
09:06:31 <bero> Started fixing 64-bit toolchain builds with NDK scripts
09:06:31 <bero> What are you going to do?
09:06:31 <bero> Finish new toolchain build system
09:06:31 <bero> Resume work on memory reduction through use of compiler features
09:06:32 <bero> Analyze list of Java components that could be replaced with C/C++
09:06:32 <bero> What problems do you have?
09:06:33 <bero> none
09:06:43 <xruxa> #action zhizhoutian_ to see if he can still do some of  C-reduce (LMG-930), ninja.mk (LMG-895) and failing VFAT tests (LMG-896)
09:07:03 <xruxa> #action zhizhoutian_ to start reporting on status of AOSP master builds in terms of green/red
09:07:47 <xruxa> bero, nice, sounds like you are really close. Is that toolchain usable for for M-LCR or far from it?
09:08:18 <bero> got to check how well it does on Juno and VFP -- but for the Nexus devices I've tried it on it's almost there
09:08:30 <bero> the only problem I've seen is that the camera on Nexus 7 doesn't work
09:08:33 <bero> probably a buggy driver
09:08:59 <bero> so chances are we won't have problems of that kind on other devices
09:10:03 <xruxa> bero, since 6.0 android is still on 4.9 - do you have any idea how far ahead of Google would that 5.2 put us?
09:10:27 <bero> in terms of what? performance?
09:11:34 <xruxa> deployment date
09:12:59 <bero> no idea what google's plans are
09:13:05 <bero> they don't talk about it...
09:13:08 <xruxa> bhoj, thanks
09:13:13 <bero> we also don't know if they'll ever go to 5.2
09:13:20 <bero> they might just decide to dump gcc for clang instead
09:13:42 <xruxa> alright, looks like I did not forget anyone this time, other than amit_khare. Amit anything you wanted to share or just observing?
09:13:50 <bero> there's currently no indications in their git tree that they're moving to anything but 4.9 - but we have no idea what they're doing in private
09:14:31 <bhoj> xruxa, LMG-895 is done by Daniel in our team already.
09:14:55 <xruxa> bhoj, so you say we can drop it and just wait for B&B?
09:15:16 <bhoj> xruxa, it is already delivered.
09:15:17 <amit_khare> xruxa: You can review the TC2 test report. I have updated it with complete CTS results
09:15:30 * xruxa can see zhizhoutian_ doing victory dance
09:15:39 <xruxa> bhoj, thanks for info, let me drop that item
09:16:51 <bero> I don't expect them to change toolchains in any 6.x release, so if they're moving to 5.2 (or more likely 5.3 or 6.x by then), it'll probably be when 7.0 is released
09:17:55 <zhizhoutian_> bhoj: oh, your team is so powerful
09:18:23 <xruxa> #info B&B already did LMG-895 , dropping it.
09:19:11 <xruxa> bero, we have a little problem - xavierhsu will need to take leave and we kinda need the SPEC 2k6 this week (otherwise I have to inform LMG-SC about delay) - do you think someone else can pick that up or should we delay it to November?
09:20:01 <bero> hmm, any volunteers who don't have enough tasks already?
09:20:30 <Qian___> bero, what work?
09:20:42 <Qian___> about libjpeg?
09:21:04 <bero> Qian__: Getting SPEC2k6 to build and work on AOSP
09:21:26 <xruxa> https://projects.linaro.org/browse/LMG-893
09:24:19 <Qian___> ok , i will review it
09:24:19 <Qian___> if i prepare to do , will notify you
09:32:09 <xruxa> Qian___, ok, if you need any more info ping me and bero anytime
09:32:21 <xruxa> lets wrap it up, already 3 minutes overtime.
09:32:27 <xruxa> #endmeeting